Summary: Books = 4
Chapters in books = 25
Full refereed journal papers = >245
Refereed conference papers = >140
Keynote addresses = >70
Other invited addresses = 400 plus
Self-initiated addresses = 150 plus
1. McGill, S.M., and Carroll, B., (2018) The Gift of Injury: The strength athletes guide to recovering from back injury to winning again. Backfitpro Inc. (www.backfitpro.com).
2. McGill, S.M., (2015) Back Mechanic: The step-by-step McGill method to manage back pain. Backfitpro Inc, (www.backfitpro.com).
Now printed in German, Dutch, Czech, Spanish, Italian, Korean, Chinese, Serbian, Polish, French, Czech, Portugese.
3. Augaitis, R. Kell, R. Kourtis, G., McGill, S.M., Whitmarsh, L. Springle, N. Personal Fitness: Faster, Stronger, Smarter. Textbook for High School Curriculum, Thompson Books, Toronto, 2013
4. McGill, S.M. Ultimate back fitness and performance, Backfitpro Inc., Waterloo, Canada, 2004. ISBN 0-9736018-0-4 (www.backfitpro.com). Sixth edition 2017.
5. McGill, S.M. Low back disorders: Evidence based prevention and rehabilitation, Human Kinetics Publishers, Champaign, IL, U.S.A., 2002. ISBN 0-7360-4241-5, Third Edition, 2016.
Now also printed in Japanese, 2003, Chinese, 2009, Korean, 2020.
B) Clinical Videos’s
1. McGill, S.M., Back exercises for Seniors, Univ of Waterloo, 1996.
2. McGill, S.M., The Ultimate Back: Enhancing Performance (www.backfitpro.com), 2010
3. McGill, S.M., Clinical Techniques for the Ultimate Back: Assessment and Therapeutic
Exercise (www.backfitpro.com), 2007. Second Edition 2012.
4. Stuart McGill, Gray Cook & Craig Liebenson, Assessing Movement Video, On target
publications, (http://www.otpbooks.com). 2014
5. Stuart McGill & Lee Brandon, New Science of Golf, (www.backfitpro.com), 2015
C) Commissioned Papers and Position Papers
1. McGill, S.M. There is no such thing as non-specific back pain. A position paper written for the Centre of Research Excellence: Musculoskeletal Disorders. Faculty of Applied
Health Sciences, University of Waterloo, 2016.
2. McGill, S.M. On the link between occupationally related musculoskeletal loading and low back injury. Commissioned paper for the Commission on Behavioral and Social
Sciences and Education, National Research Council and Institute of Medicine, USA, March, 2000.
D) Full Refereed Journal Papers
*Indicates first authors who were students at time of development of the paper.
- Brendan L. Pinto* and Stuart M. McGill(Accepted July 2019) Voluntary muscle relaxation can improve counter-movement jump performance. J Sports Sci.
- Beach TAC, Frost DM, Zehr JD, Howarth SJ, McGill SM, Callaghan JP. (2019) Spine loading during laboratory-simulated fireground operations – Inter-individual variation and method of load quantification. Ergonomics, 2019, VOL. 62, NO. 11, 1426-1438. https://doi.org/10.1080/00140139.2019.1657183
- Cannon, J., Cambridge, E., McGill, S.M., (in press, 2019 ) ACL Injury Mechanisms and the Kinetic Chain Linkage: The Effect of Proximal Joint Stiffness on Distal Knee Control during Bilateral Landings, JOSPT
- Lysander Jim, and Stuart McGill (2018) Observations of thoracic neuromuscular oscillation subsequent to thoracic pathology, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 2(1):2.
- Balkovec, C., Veldhuis, J., Baird, J., Brodland, W., McGill, S.M., (2018): Digital Tracking Algorithm Reveals the Influence of Structural Irregularities on Joint Movements in the Human Cervical Spine, Clinical Biomechanics 56:11-17.
- Stuart McGill, and Brad Schoenfeld, (2017) Master Class- Choosing Exercises: An example with “the crunch”, NSCA Personal Trainer Quarterly.
- Balkovec, C., Veldhuis, J., Baird, J., Brodland, W., McGill, S.M., (2017) A Videofluoroscopy-Based Tracking Algorithm for Quantifying the Time Course of Human Intervertebral Displacements. Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering. Mar 15:1-9. doi: 10.1080/10255842.2017.1302435.
- Lee B and McGill SM. (2016) The Effect of Core Training on Distal Limb Performance During Ballistic Maneuvers. J Sport Sci., http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02640414.2016.1236207
- Lee B and McGill SM. (2016) The effect of short term isometric training on core/torso stiffness. J Sport Sci. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02640414.2016.1235791
- Balkovec, C., Vernengo, J., Stevenson, P., McGill, S.M., (2016) Evaluation of an injectable hydrogel and PMMA in restoring mechanics to compressively fractured spine motion segments, The Spine Journal. 16(11)1404–1412.
- Balkovec, C., Vernengo, J., McGill, S.M., (2016) Disc height loss and restoration via injectable hydrogel influences adjacent segment mechanics in-vitro Clinical Biomechanics, 36:1-7.
- A Bateman, C Balkovec, M Akens, A Chan, W Oakden, R Harrison, A Yee, S McGill, (2016) Closure of the annulus fibrosus using a novel suture application device – in vivo porcine and ex-vivo biomechanical evaluation, The SPINE Journal. 16:889-895.
- Giangregorio LM, Ashe MC, Shipp K, Cheung AM, Heinonen A, Papaioannou A, McGill S, Laprade J, Jain R, Leller K, MacIntyre N, Wark J. (2016) Intensity is a subjective construct”, Osteoporosis International. Osteoporos. Int., 27:2391–2392.DOI 10.1007/s00198-016-3507-9
- Frost DM, Beach TAC, Crosby I, McGill SM. (2016) The cost and distribution of firefighter injuries in a large Canadian fire department, WORK: A Journal of Prevention, Assessment & Rehabilitation.55(3),497-504.
- Cannon, J., Emond, D., McGill, S.M., (2016) Evidence on the ability of a pneumatic decompression belt to restore spinal height following an acute bout of exercise. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics, 39(4):304-310.
- Santana, J.C., Brown, L., McGill, S.M., (2015) The Anterior and Posterior Serape: The rotational core. Strength and Conditioning Journal.37(5):8-13.
- Frost DM, Beach TAC, Campbell TL, Callaghan JP, McGill SM.(2015) An appraisal of the Functional Movement Screen grading criteria – Is the composite score sensitive to risky movement behavior? Phys Ther Sport 2015 Nov 17;16(4):324-30. Epub 2015 Feb 17.
- Frost DM, Beach TAC, Callaghan JP, McGill SM. (2015) Exercise-based performance enhancement and injury prevention for firefighters: Contrasting the fitness- and movement-related adaptations to two training methodologies. J Strength Cond Res 2015 Sep;29(9):2441-59.
- Frost DM, Beach TAC, McGill SM, Callaghan JP. (2015) A proposed method to detect kinematic differences between and within individuals. J. Emg. Kinesiol. Volume 25(3): 479–487.
- Kushner A., M., Brent, J. L., Schoenfeld B., Hugentobler, J., Lloyd, R. S., Vermeil, A., Chu, D., Harbin, J., McGill, S. M., Myer, G. D., (2015) The Back Squat Part 2: Targeted Training Techniques to Correct Functional Deficits and Technical Factors that Limit Performance, J. Strength and Condit. Res. 37(2):13-60.
- McGill SM, Frost DM, Finlay T, et al. (2015) Can fitness and movement quality prevent back injury in elite task force police officers? A 5 year longitudinal study, Ergonomics 2015 Oct 8;58(10):1682-9. Epub 2015 May 8. Winner: Liberty Mutual award for top paper in 2015.
- Balkovec C, Adams M, Dolan P, McGill SM. (2015) Annulus fibrosus can strip hyaline cartilage endplate from subchondral bone: a study of the intervertebral disc in tension. Global Spine J 2015 Oct 25;5(5):360-5. Epub 2015 Feb 25. Won the top paper of the year for 2015 in the Global Spine Journal.
- Frost DM, Crosby I, McGill SM (2015). Firefighter injuries are not just a fireground problem. 09/2015; DOI:10.3233/WOR-152111
- Vera-Garcia, F., Ruiz-Pérez, I., Barbado, D., Juan-Recio, C., McGill, S.M., (2014) Trunk and shoulder EMG and lumbar kinematics of medicine-ball side throw and side catch and throw. European J. Human Movement, 33:93-109
- McGill SM, Cannon, J., Andersen J (2014). Muscle activity and spine load during pulling exercises: Influence of stable and labile contact surfaces and technique coaching. EMG.Kines. DOI 10.1016/j.jelekin.2014.06.002 24(5): 652-665
- Sidorkewicz, N., & McGill, S. M. (2014). Documenting female spine motion during coitus with a commentary on the implications for the low back pain patient. European Spine Journal, 1-8.
- Frost DM, Beach TAL, Callaghan J, McGill SM. (2015) A proposed method to detect kinematic differences between and within individuals. J EMG. Kin. 03/2015; 25(3). DOI:10.1016/j.jelekin.2015.02.012.
- McGill, SM, Cambridge, E., Anderson, J., (2015). A six week trial of hula hooping using a weighted hoop: Affects on skinfold, girths, weight and torso muscle endurance. Strength Cond. Res. 29(5):1279–1284.
- Lee B, McGill SM. (2014) Striking dynamics and kinetic properties of boxing and MMA gloves. RAMA. (Revista de Artes Marciates Asiaticas), 9(2): 106-115.
- Frantzis E, Druelle P, Ross K, McGill SM (accepted Sept 2014). The accuracy of osteopathic adjustments of the lumbar spine: A Pilot Study. J Osteopathic Medicine 18 (2015), pp. 33-39 DOI information: 10.1016/j.ijosm.2014.09.001
- Balkovec C, Carstensen M, Leung A, McGill SM (2014). A Preliminary Investigation into the Morphology of Trabecular Bone Damage Associated with Intervertebral Disc Herniation. J Spine Neurosurg 3:6 doi:10.4172/2325-9701.1000162
- Lee, B and McGill, S.M. (2015) The effect of long term isometric training on core/torso stiffness. Strength Condit. Res. 29 (6):1515-1526. doi: 10.1519/JSC.0000000000000740
- Frost DM, Beach TAL, Callaghan J, McGill SM (2015). FMS scores change with performer’s knowledge of the grading criteria- Are general whole body movement screens capturing “dysfunction”. J Strength Cond Res 2015 Nov;29(11):3037-44
- Frost DM, Beach TAL, Callaghan J, McGill SM (2015). The influence of load and speed on individual’s movement behaviour. J Strength Cond Res 2015 Sep;29(9):2417-25
- McGill SM, Cannon J, Anderson J, (2014) Muscle activity and spine load during anterior chain whole body linkage exercises: The body saw, hanging leg raise and walkout from a pushup. Sport Sci. DOI 10.1080/026 40414.2014.946 437
- Dejanovic A, Balkovec C, McGill SM (2015). Head posture influences low back muscle endurance tests in 11 year old children. J Mot Behav 2015 25;47(3):226-31. Epub 2014 Nov 25.
- Sidorkewicz N and McGill SM (2014). Male spine motion during coitus: Implications for the low back pain patient. SPINE 39(20): 1633-1639.
- Giangregorio LM, Ashe MC, Shipp K, Cheung AM, Heinonen A, Papaioannou A, McGill S, Laprade J, Jain R, Leller K, MacIntyre N, Wark J. “Is this exercise safe?” – Building consensus around responses to common questions about physical activity posed by people with osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 28 (Supp1). Available at: http://www.asbmr.org/education/AbstractDetail?aid=ccf88652-3d98-4a0d-843fba44e6593d5f
- Giangregorio LM, McGill S, Wark JD, Laprade J, Heinonen A, Ashe MC, MacIntyre NJ, Cheung AM, Shipp K, Keller H, Jain R, Papaioannou A. Too Fit To Facture: Outcomes of a Delphi consensus process on physical activity and exercise recommendations for adults with osteoporosis with or without vertebral fractures. Osteoporosis International, DOI 10.1007/s00198-014-2881-4, Osteoporosis International: Volume 26, Issue 3 (2015), Page 891-910.
- Myer GD, Kushner AM, Brent JL, Schoenfeld BJ, Hugentobler J, Lloyd RS, Vermeil A, Chu DA, Harbin J, McGill SM. The back squat: A proposed assessment of functional deficits and technical factors that limit performance. Strength Cond. 2014 Dec 1;36(6):4-27.
- Giangregorio L, MacIntyre N, Heinonen A, Cheung A, Wark J, McGill SM, Shipp K, Ashe M, Laprade J, Jain R, Keller H, Papaioannou A (2014). Too fit to fracture: A consensus on future research priorities in osteoporosis and exercise. Osteoporosis International. 25;1465-1472. DOI 10.1007/500198-014-2652-2
- Casthanhero R, Duarte M, McGill SM (2014). Corrective sitting strategies: an examination of muscle activity and spine load. EMG. Kinesiol. 24(1): 114-119.
- Beach, T.A.C., Frost, D.M., McGill, S.M., Callaghan, J.P. Physical fitness improvements and occupational low-back loading – An exercise intervention study with firefighters. Ergonomics 57(5): 744-763,
- Frost, D. M., Beach, T. A., McGill, S. M., & Callaghan, J. P. (2015). The predictive value of general movement tasks in assessing occupational task performance. Work: A Journal of Prevention, Assessment and Rehabilitation. 06/2014; 52(1). DOI:10.3233/WOR-141902
- Badiuk, B. W., Andersen, J. T., & McGill, S. M. (2014). Exercises to Activate the Deeper Abdominal Wall Muscles: The Lewit: A Preliminary Study. The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, 28(3), 856-860.
- McGill SM, Cannon J, Andersen J (2014). Analysis of pushing exercises: Muscle activity and spine load while contrasting techniques on stable surfaces with labile suspension strap training system. Strength Condit. Res. 28(1): 105-116.
- Sidorkewicz N, Cambridge E, McGill SM (2014). Examining the effects of altering hip angle on gluteus medius and tensor fascia latae interplay during common non-weight bearing hip rehabilitation exercises. Biomech. 29(9):971-976.
- Dejanovic, A., Cambridge, E. D., & McGill, S. (2013). Isometric torso muscle endurance profiles in adolescents aged 15-18: normative values for age and gender differences. Annals of human biology, 41(2), 153-158.
- Frost D*, Andersen J, Lam T, Findlay T, Darby K, McGill SM (2013). The relationship between general measures of fitness, passive range of motion and whole body movement quality. Ergonomics: 1-16.
- Dejanovic A, Cambridge EDJ, McGill SM (2013). Does spine posture affect isometric torso muscle endurance profiles in adolescent children? Arch. Phys. Med. & Rehab. Advances in Phys Ed. 3(3):111-115. DOI: 104236/ape.2013.33019
- Moreside JM*, McGill SM (2013). Improvements in hip flexibility and/or core stability does not transfer to mobility in functional movement patterns. Strength & Condit. Research. 27(10):2635-2643.
- McGill SM <Invited Commentary> (2013). On the issue of clinical test reliability, Arch. Phys. Med. Rehab. 94:1635-1637.
- McGill SM <Invited Paper> (2013). Frost, D., Lam, T., Findlay, T., Darby, K., Andersen, J. Fitness and movement quality of emergency task force police officers: A database with comparison to populations of emergency services personnel, athletes and the general public. J. Industrial Ergonomics. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ergon.2012.11.013
- McGill SM, Frost D, Andersen J, Crosby I, Gardiner D (2013). Movement quality and links to measures of fitness in firefighters. WORK 45(3):357-66
- McGill SM, Marshall L, Andersen J (2013). Low back loads while walking and carrying: comparing the load carried in one hand or in both hands. 56(2):293-302. DOI 10.1080/00140139.2012.752528
- Balkovec C*, Vernengo J, McGill SM (2013). The use of a novel injectable hydrogel nucleus pulposus replacement in restoring the mechanical properties of cyclically fatigued porcine intervertebral discs. Biomech Engineering. 35(6):61004-5.
- Gooyers CE*, Frost DM, McGill SM, Callaghan JP (2013). Partial rupture of the achilles tendon doing a simulated fireground task: Insights obtained for the prevention and reporting of musculoskeletal injury. Biomech. 28(4):436-440.
- Freeman S*, Mascia A, McGill SM (2013). Arthrogenic neuromuscular inhibition: A foundational investigation of existence in the hip joint. Clin Biomech. 28:171-177
- Dejanovic A, Harvey E, McGill SM (2012). Are anthropometric variables linked with torso muscle endurance profiles of children 7 to 14. Advances in Physical Education. 2(4):187-196, doi: 4236/ape.2012.24032
- Sidorkewicz N*, Cambridge E, McGill SM (2012). Can gluteus medius be targetted over TFL muscle activation during common non weight bearing hip rehabilitation exercises. Can. J. Kinesiology. 6(2):12-13
- Cambridge E*, Sidorkewicz N, McGill SM (2012). Hip and spine motion during progressive hip rehabilitation – Implications for the low back pain patient. J. Kinesiology. 6(2):13-14
- Ikeda D*, McGill SM (2012). Can altering motions, postures and loads provide immediate low back pain relief: A study of four cases investigating spine load, posture and stability. SPINE. 37 (23): E1469-E1475
- McGill SM, Andersen J, Horne A (2012). Predicting performance and injury resilience from movement quality and fitness scores in a basketball player population. Strength. Condit.Res.26(7):1731-1739
- Balkovec C*, McGill SM (2012). Extent of nucleus pulposus migration in the annulus of intervertebral discs exposed to cyclic flexion only versus cyclic flexion and extension. Biomech. 27:766-770.
- Moreside JM*, McGill SM (2012). How do elliptical machines differ from walking: a study of torso motion and muscle activity. Biomech. 27:738-743
- Cambridge E*, Sidorkewicz N, Ikeda D, McGill SM (2012). Progressive hip rehabilitation: The effects of resistance band placement on gluteal activation during two common exercises. Biomech. 27:719-724.
- Frost D*, Fenwick S, Callaghan J, McGill SM (2012). Is there a low back cost to hip centric exercise? Examining the lumbar spine joint compression and shear forces during movements used to overload the hips. Sport Sci. 30(9):859-870
- Moreside JM*, McGill SM (2012). Hip joint ROM improvements using 3 different interventions. Strength. Condit. Res. 26(5):1265-1273.
- Dejanovic A, Harvey E, McGill SM (2012). Changes in torso muscle endurance profiles in children aged 7-14: Reference values. Phys. Med. Rehab. 93:2295-2301.
- McGill SM, Marshall L (2012). Kettlebell swing snatch and bottoms-up carry: Back and hip muscle activation, motion, and low back loads. J. Strength Conditioning Res. 26(1):16-27.
- Frost DM*, Beach TAC, Callaghan JP, McGill SM (2012). Using the functional movement screen to evaluate the effectiveness of training. Strength and Conditioning Res. 26(6):1620-1630.
- Frost DM*, Beach TA, Callaghan JP, McGill SM (2011). Movement screening for performance: What information do we need to guide exercise progression? J. Strength, Condit. Res. 25:S2-S3.
- Yates JP*, McGill SM (2011). The effect of vibration and posture on the progression of intervertebral disc herniation. SPINE. 36(5) 386-392. 1-16, iFirst article.
- Vera Garcia FJ, Moreside JM, McGill SM (2011). Abdominal muscle activation changes if the purpose is to control pelvis motion or thorax motion. J EMG & Kinesiology. 21:893-903.
- Moreside J*, McGill SM (2011). Quantifying normal 3D hip range of motion in healthy adult males with clinical and laboratory tools: Hip mobility restrictions appear to be plane specific. Biomech. 26:824-829.
- McGill SM (2011) Is a postural-structural-biomechanical model, within manual therapies, viable: AJBMT debate. Invited Response Bodywork and Movement Therapy 15(2):150-152.
- McGill SM (2010) <Invited Review> Core training: Evidence translating to better performance and injury prevention. Strength and Conditioning Journal 32(3):33-46.
- Brown SHM*, McGill SM (2010). The relationship between trunk muscle activation and trunk stiffness: Examining a non-constant stiffness gain. Computer Methods Biomech Biomed Enging. 13(6): 829-835.
- McGill SM (2010) <Invited Review> Quick Tip: Wearing a weight belt, Journal of the National Strength and Conditioning
- McGill SM, Chaimberg J, Frost D, Fenwick C (2010). The double peak: How elite MMA fighters develop speed and strike force. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 24(2): 348-357.
- Brown SHM*, McGill SM (2010). A comparison of ultrasound and electromyography measures of force and activation to examine the mechanics of abdominal wall contraction. Biomech. 25:115-123.
- Yates JP*, Giangregorio L, McGill SM (2010). The influence of intervertebral disc shape on the pathway of posterior/posterior lateral partial herniation. SPINE. 35 (7):734-739.
- McGill SM, Belore, M., Crosby, I., Russell, C. (2010) Comparison of two methods to quantify torso flexion endurance. Ergonmics. 9:55-61
- McGill SM, Rehabiliation of the painful back: IDEA Fitness Journal, January 2010.
- Marshall L, McGill SM (2010). The role of axial torque/twist in disc herniation. Biomech. 25(1): 6-9.
- Brown S*, McGill SM (2009). The intrinsic stiffness of the invivo lumbar spine in response to a variety of quick releases: Implications for reflexive requirements, EMG Kinesiol. 19(5):727-736
- Fenwick CMJ, Brown SHM, McGill SM (2009). Comparison of different rowing exercises: Trunk muscle activation, and lumbar spine motion, load and stiffness. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 23(5):1408-1417.
- McGill SM, Karpowicz A, Fenwick C (2009). Ballistic abdominal exercises: Muscle activation patterns during three activities along the stability/mobility continuum. Strength and Cond. Res. 23(3): 898-905.
- McGill SM, Karpowicz A, Fenwick C (2009). Exercises for the torso performed in a standing posture: Motion and motor patterns. Strength and Conditioning Res. 23(2): 455-464.
- McGill SM, There is no such thing as non-specific back pain. A position paper written for the Centre of Research Excellence: Musculoskeletal Disorders.cre-msd.uwaterloo.ca
- Liebenson C, Karpowicz A, Brown S, Howarth S, McGill SM (2009). The active straight leg raise test and lumbar spine stability. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 1 (6): 530-535.
- McGill SM, Fenwick CMJ (2009). Using a pneumatic support to correct sitting posture in airline seats. 52(9):1162-1168.
- Vera Garcia F, Moreside J, McGill SM (2009). MVC techniques to normalize trunk muscle EMG in healthy women. Electro. Kines. 20:10-16
- Sanchez-Zuriaga D, Vera-Garcia FJ, Moreside J, McGill SM (2009). Trunk muscle activation patterns and spine kinematics when using the body blade: Influence of different postures and blade orientations. Phys. Med. Rehab. 90 (6): 1055-1060.
- Banerjee P*, Brown S, Howarth S, McGill SM (2009). Torso and hip muscle activity and resulting spine load and stability while using the Profitter 3-D Cross Trainer. Appl. Biomech., 25: 73-84.
- McGill SM (2009) <Invited Paper> Evolving Ergonomics? Ergonomics, 52(1): 80-86.
- McGill SM, Karpowicz A (2009). Exercises for spine stabilization: Motion/Motor patterns, stability progressions and clinical technique. Phys. Med. and Rehab., 90: 118-126.
- Scannell JP*, McGill SM (2009). Disc prolapse: Evidence of reversal with repeated extension. SPINE, 34(4): 344-350.
- Brown S*, McGill SM (2009). Transmission of muscularly generated force and stiffness between layers of the rat abdominal wall. SPINE, 34(2): E70-E75.
- Brown S*, McGill SM (2008). An ultrasound investigation into the morphology of the human abdominal wall uncovers complex deformation patterns during contraction. J. Appl. Physiol. 104(6): 1021-1030.
- McGill SM, McDermott A, Fenwick C (2008). Comparison of different strongman events: Trunk muscle activation and lumbar spine motion, load and stiffness, Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 23(4): 1148-1161
- Grenier SG*, McGill SM (2008). When exposed to challenged ventilation, those with a history of LBP increase spine stability relatively more than healthy individuals. Biomech. 23(9): 1105-1111.
- McGill SM (2008) <Invited Review> On the use of weightbelts. NSCA Hot Topics Series, nsca-lift.org ((Hot Topics).
- McGill SM (2008) <Invited Review> Therapeutic exercise for the painful lumbar spine: Where does one begin, Div.Review CPA, pp. 12-18, March/April 2008.
- Brown S*, McGill SM (2008). How the inherent stiffness of the in-vivo human trunk varies with changing magnitude of muscular activation. Biomech., 23(1): 15-22.
- Bereznick D*, Pecora C, Ross K, McGill SM (2008). The refractory period of the audible “crack” following lumbar manipulation. Manip. Physiol. Therapeutics., 31(3): 199-203.
- Wang S*, McGill SM (2008). Links between the mechanics of ventilation and spine stability. App. Biomech., 24(2): 166-174.
- Brown S*, McGill SM (2008). Co-activation alters the linear versus non-linear impression of the EMG-Torque relationship of trunk muscles. J. Biomech., 41: 491-497.
- Brown S*, Gregory D, McGill SM (2008). Vertebral and plate fractures as a result as a result of high rate pressure loading in the nucleus of the young porcine spine. Biomech., 41(1): 122.-127.
- Moreside JM*, Vera-Garcia F, McGill SM (2008). Neuromuscular independence of abdominal wall muscles as demonstrated by middle-eastern style dancers. Electromyography and Kines., 18: 527-537.
- Tampier C*, Drake J, Callaghan J, McGill SM (2007). Progressive disc herniation: An investigation of the mechanism using radiologic, histochemical and microscopic dissection techniques. SPINE, 32(25): 2869-2874.
- McGill SM (2007) <Invited Review> The painful lumbar spine: Thoughts for Kinesiologists. Kin. J., 1(2): 5-13.
- McGill SM (2007) <Invited Review> The painful low back: Mechanical causes can often be identified when specifically tested for. Parkhurst Exchange 15(8): 62-66.
- Vera-Garcia F, Moreside J, Flores-Parodi B, McGill SM (2007). Trunk muscular activity during situations requiring stabilization of the spine: A case study (in Spanish) Educacion Fisica y Desportes, 87(1):14-26.
- Santana JC, Vera-Garcia FJ, McGill SM (2007). A kinetic and electromyographic comparison of standing cable press and bench press. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 21(4): 1271-1279.
- Grenier SG*, McGill SM (2007). Quantification of lumbar stability using two different abdominal activation strategies. Phys. Med. & Rehab., 88(1):54-62.
- Moreside JM*, Vera-Garcia FJ, McGill SM (2007). Trunk muscle activation patterns, lumbar compressive forces and spine stability when using the body blade. Physical Therapy, 87(2):153-163.
- Vera-Garcia F, Elvira JLL, Brown SHM, McGill SM (2007). Effects of abdominal stabilization manoeuvres on the control of spine motion and stability against sudden trunk loading perturbations. EMG and Kines., 17:556-567.
- Brown SHM*, Vera-Garcia FJ, McGill SM (2007). Effects of abdominal bracing on the externally pre-loaded trunk: Implications for spine stability. SPINE, 31:E387-398.
- McGill SM <Invited Feature Article> The painful and unstable lumbar spine: A foundation and approach for restablization. Orthopaedic Division Reviews, March/April. Canadian Physiotherapy Association, pp. 56-59, 2006.
- Lett K*, McGill SM (2006). Pushing and pulling: Personal mechanics influence spine loads, Ergonomics, 49(9): 895-908.
- Brown SHM*, Vera-Garcia FJ, McGill SM (2006). Effects of abdominal muscle coactivation on the externally pre-loaded trunk: Variations in Motor Control and its effects on spine stability. SPINE, 31(13): E387-393.
- Vera-Garcia FJ, Brown SHM, Gray JR, McGill SM (2006). Effects of different levels of torso coactivation on trunk muscular and kinematic responses to posteriorly applied sudden loads. Clinical Biomechanics, 21(5): 443-455.
- Freeman S*, Karpowicz A, Gray J, McGill SM (2006). Quantifying muscle patterns and spine load during various forms of the pushup. Sci: Sports and Exerc., 38(3): 570-577.
- McGill SM, Kavcic N, Harvey E (2006). Sitting on a chair or an exercise ball: Various perspectives to guide decision making. Biomech., 21(4): 353-360.
- Kavcic N*, Lehman G, McGill SM (2005). Effect of Modulated TENS on muscle oxygenation, muscle spasm and pain: Searching for a physiological mechanism. M.S. Pain, 13(2): 19-30.
- Preuss R*, Grenier S, McGill SM (2005). Postural control of the lumbar spine in unstable sitting. Arch. Phys. Medicine, 86: 2309-2315.
- Brown SH*, McGill SM (2005). Muscle force-stiffness characteristics influence joint stability. Biomech., 20(9): 917-922.
- Drake JD*, Aultman CD, McGill SM, Callaghan JP (2005). The influence of static axial torque in combined loading on intervertebral joint failure mechanics using a porcine model, Biomech., 20(10): 1038-1045.
- Hicks GE, Fritz JM, Delitto A, McGill SM (2005). Preliminary development of a clinical prediction rule for determining which patients with low back pain will respond to a stabilization exercise program. Phys. Med. and Rehab., 86(9): 1753-1762.
- McGill SM, Kavcic N (2005). Transfer of the horizontal patient: The effect of a friction reducing assistive on low back mechanics, Ergonomics, 48(8): 915-929.
- Aultman CD*, Scannell J, McGill SM (2005). Predicting the direction of nucleus tracking in porcine spine motion segments subjected to repetitive flexion and simultaneous lateral bend, Clinical Biomechanics, 20: 126-129.
- McGill SM, Brown S (2004). Psychosocial variables in those with a previous history of LBP with work loss and those without – 16 month follow-up. Ergonomics, 48(2): 200-206.
- Howarth SJ*, Allison AE, Grenier S, Cholewicki J, McGill SM (2004). On the implications of interpreting the stability index: A spine example. Biomech., 37(8):1147-1154.
- Kavcic N*, Grenier SG, McGill SM (2004). Quantifying tissue loads and spine stability while performing commonly prescribed low back stabilization exercises. Spine., 29(20): 2319-2329.
- Aultman CD*, Drake J, Callaghan JP, McGill SM (2004). The effect of static torsion on the compression strength of the spine: An invitro analysis using a porcine spine model. Spine, 29(15): E304-309.
- Ross JK*, Bereznick DE, McGill SM (2004). Determining cavitation location during lumbar and thoracic spinal manipulation: Is spinal manipulation accurate and specific? Spine, 29(13): 1452-1457.
- McGill SM (2004). Linking latest knowledge of injury mechanisms and spine function to the prevention of low back disorders. Electromyography and Kines., 14(1):43-47.
- Kavcic N*, Grenier S, McGill SM (2004). Determining the stabilizing role of individual torso muscles during rehabilitation exercises. Spine, 29(11):1254-1265.
- Scannell JP*, McGill SM (2003). Lumbar posture – should, and can, it be modified? A study of passive tissue stiffness and lumbar position in activities of daily living. Ther., 83(10): 907-917.
- *Also published in “Hooked on Evidence”, American Physical Therapy Association Website, 2003.
- McGill SM, Grenier S, Kavcic N, Cholewicki J (2003). Coordination of muscle activity to assure stability of the lumbar spine. Journal of Electromyography and Kines. 13:353-359.
- McGill SM, Grenier S, Bluhm M, Preuss R, Brown S, Russell C (2003). Previous history of LBP with work loss is related to lingering effects in biomechanical physiological, personal, and psychosocial characteristics. Ergonomics, 46(7): 731-746.
- Preuss G*, Grenier S, McGill SM (2003). The effect of test position on lumbar spine position sense. JOSPT. 33(2):73-78.
- Parks KA*, Crichton KS, Goldford RJ, McGill SM (2003). On the validity of ratings of impairment for low back disorders. SPINE. 28(4):380-384.
- Grenier SG*, Preuss RA, Russell C, McGill SM (2003). On the validity of the sit and reach test for lumbar flexibility and previous history of low back disability. J. Appl. Physiol., 28(2): 165-177.
- Green J*, Grenier S, McGill SM (2002). Low back stiffness is altered with warmup and bench rest: Implications for athletes. Sci. Sports Exerc. 34(7): 1076-1081. Also selected and published in: Year Book of Sports Medicine, (M. Alexander editor), Mosby-Year Book Inc., St. Louis 2003.
- Bereznick DE*, Ross JK, McGill SM (2002). The frictional properties at the thoracic skin-fascia interface: Implications in Spine Manipulation. Biomech. 17(4): 297-303.
- Lehman G*, Vernon H, McGill SM (2001). Effects of a mechanical pain stimulus on erector spinae activity before and after a spinal manipulation in patients with back pain: A preliminary investigation. M.P.T. 24(6): 402-406.
- Lehman G*, McGill SM (2001). Quantification of the differences in electromyographic activity magnitude between upper and lower rectus abdominis during selected trunk exercises. Ther. 81: 1096-1101.
- Callaghan JP*, McGill SM (2001). Low back joint loading and kinematics during standing and unsupported sitting. Ergonomics 44(3): 280-294.
- Lehman G, McGill SM (2001). Spinal manipulation causes variable spine kinematic and trunk muscle electromyographic responses. Biomech. 16(4): 293-299.
- Au G*, Cook J, McGill SM (2001). Spinal shrinkage during repetitive torsional, lateral bending, and flexion/extension exertions. ERGONOMICS 44(4): 373-381.
- Gunning JL*, Callaghan JP, McGill SM (2001). The role of prior loading history and spinal posture on the compressive tolerance and type of failure in the spine using a porcine trauma model. Biomech. 16(6): 471-480.
- Callaghan JP*, McGill SM (2001). Intervertebral disc herniation: Studies on a porcine model exposed to highly repetitive flexion/extension motion with compressive force. Biom. 16(1): 28-37.
- McGill SM, Cholewicki J (2001). Biomechanical basis for stability: An explanation to enhance clinical ability. Orthop. Sports Phys. Ther. 31(2): 96-100.
- McGill SM < Invited Review > (2001). Low Back Stability: From formal description to issues for performance and rehabilitation, Exercise and Sports Science Reviews, 29(1): 26-31.
- Vera-Garcia FJ, Grenier SG, McGill SM (2000). Abdominal response during curl-ups on both stable and labile surfaces. Ther. 80(6): 564-569.
- McGill SM, Hughson RL, Parks K (2000). Changes in lumbar lordosis modify the role of the extensor muscles. Biomech. 15(1): 777-780
- Ross JK*, Bereznick DE, McGill SM < Invited short version > (2000), Atlas – Axis Facet Asymmetry: Implication in manual palpation. Rheumatology Reviews issue 3100: 16-17, originally published in full in Spine
- Stothart P, McGill SM (2000). Stadiometry: on measurement technique to reduce variability in spine shrinkage measurement. Biomech 15: 546-548.
- McGill SM, Hughson R, Parks K (2000). Lumbar erector spinae oxygenation during prolonged contractions: Implications for prolonged work. ERGONOMICS 43: 486-493.
- Brereton L*, McGill SM (1999). Effects of physical fatigue and cognitive challenges on the potential for low back injury. Human Movement Science 18: 839-857.
- Lehman G*, McGill SM (1999). Influence of chiropractic manipulation on lumbar kinematics and EMG during simple and complex tasks: A case study. J. Manip. Physiol. Therapeutics 22(9): 576-581.
- Cholewicki J, Juluru K, Radebold A, Panjabi MM, McGill SM (1999). Lumbar spine stability can be augmented with an abdominal belt and/or increased intra-abdominal pressure. Spine J. 8: 388-395.
- McGill SM <Invited Report> (1999). Stability: from biomechanical concept to chiropractic practice. Can. Chiropr. Assn. 43(2): 79-92.
- Hicks A*, McGill S, Hughson RL (1999). Tissue oxygenation by near-infrared spectroscopy and muscle blood flow during isometric contractions of the forearm. Canadian Journal of Applied Physiology 24(3): 216-230.
- Yingling*, V.R., and McGill, S.M. (1999) Mechanical properties and failure mechanics of the spine under posterior shear load: observations from a porcine model. Spinal Disorders 12(6): 501-508.
- Lehman G*, McGill SM (1999). The importance of normalization in the interpretation of surface electromyography: A proof of principle. Manip. Physiol. Therapeutics 22(7): 444-446.
- Yingling VR*, McGill SM (1999). Anterior shear of spinal motion segments: kinematics, kinetics and resulting injuries observed in a porcine model. SPINE 24(18): 1882-1889.
- Cholewicki J, Juluru K, McGill SM (1999). The intra-abdominal pressure mechanism for stabilizing the lumbar spine. Biomech. 32(1): 13-17.
- McGill SM, Yingling VR, Peach JP (1999). Three dimensional kinematics and trunk muscle myoelectric activity in the elderly spine: A database compared to young people. Biomech. 14(6): 389-395.
- McGill SM, Childs A, Liebenson C (1999). Endurance times for stabilization exercises: Clinical targets for testing and training from a normal database. Phys. Med. Rehab. 80: 941-944.
- Ross JK*, Bereznik D*, McGill SM (1999). Atlas-axis facet asymmetry: Implications for manual palpation. SPINE 24(12): 1203-1209.
- Yingling VR*, Callaghan JP, McGill SM (1999). The porcine cervical spine as a reasonable model of the human lumbar spine: An anatomical, geometrical and functional comparison. Spinal Disorders 12(5): 415-423.
- Mientjes MIV*, Norman RW, Wells RP, McGill SM (1999). Assessment of an EMG-based method for continuous estimates of low back compression during three dimensional tasks and jobs. Ergonomics 42(6): 868-879.
- Callaghan JP*, Patla AE, McGill SM (1999). Low back three-dimensional joint forces, kinematics and kinetics during walking. Biomech. 14: 203-216.
- McGill SM, Callaghan JP (1999). Impact forces following the unexpected removal of a chair while sitting. Accident Analysis and Prevention 31: 85-89.
- McGill SM, Yingling VR (1999). Traction may enhance the imaging of spine injuries with plane radiographs: Implications for the laboratory versus the clinic. Biomech. 14(4): 291-295.
- Boakes J*, Peach JP, McGill SM. (1998). Does methocarbamol affect fatigue markers in the low back electromyogram? EMG. Kinesiol. 8: 423-427.
- McGill SM. Invited Paper (1999). Should industrial workers wear abdominal belts: guidelines based on the recent literature. J. Industrial Ergonomics 23(5-6): 633-636.
- Juker D, McGill SM, Kropf P (1998). Quantitative intramuscular myoelectric activity of lumbar portions of psoas and the abdominal wall during cycling. Appl. Biomech. 14(4): 428-438.
- McGill SM. Invited Paper (1998). Low back exercises: Evidence for improving exercise regimens. Physical Therapy 78(7): 754-765.
- Brereton LC*, McGill SM (1998). Invited Paper. Frequency response of spine extensors during rapid isometric contractions: effects of muscle length and tension. EMG Kinesiol. 8(4): 227-232.
- Peach JP*, McGill SM (1998). Classification of low back pain with the use of spectral EMG parameters during submaximum isometric fatiguing contractions and recovery. Spine 23(10): 1117-1123.
- Peach JP*, Gunning J, McGill SM (1998). Reliability of spectral EMG parameters of healthy back extensors during submaximum isometric fatiguing contractions and recovery. EMG. and Kines. 8: 403-410.
- Peach JP*, Sutarno C, McGill SM (1998). 3D Kinematics and trunk muscle myoelectric activity of the asymptomatic young lumbar spine – A database. Phys. Med. Rehab. 79(6): 663-669.
- Callaghan JP*, Gunning JL, McGill SM (1998). Relationship between lumbar spine load and muscle activity during extensor exercises. Physical Therapy 78(1): 8-18.
- Juker D, McGill SM, Kropf P, Steffen T (1998). Quantitative intramuscular myoelectric activity of lumbar portions of psoas and the abdominal wall during a wide variety of tasks. Sci. Sports Ex. 30(2):301-310.
- Axler C*, McGill SM (1997). Low back loads over a variety of abdominal exercises: Searching for the safest abdominal challenge, Sci.Sports.Ex. 29(6): 804-811.
- Yingling VR*, Callaghan JP, McGill SM (1997). Dynamic loading affects the mechanical properties and failure site of porcine spines, Biomech. 12(5): 301-305. < Also reprinted in: Year Book of Sports Medicine, Mosby Year Book, 1998.
- McGill SM, Cholewicki J, Peach JP (1997). Methodological considerations for using inductive sensors (3-SPACE ISOTRAK) to monitor 3-D orthopaedic joint motion, Clin. Biomech. 12(3): 190-194.
- McGill SM (1997). Invited Paper: Biomechanics of Low Back Injury: Implications on current practice and the clinic. Biomech. 30(5): 465-475. < Also selected for inclusion in the “Year Book of Chiropractic”, Mosby Year Book, 1999. >
- McGill SM (1997). Invited Manuscript: Distribution of tissue loads in the low back during a variety of rehabilitation tasks. Rehab. Res. Develop. 34(4): 448-458.
- Rafacz W*, McGill SM (1996). Abdominal belts increase diastolic blood pressure, J.Occup.Env.Med. 38(9): 925-927. < Also reprinted in: Year Book of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Mosby Year Book, 1998.>
- McGill SM, van Wijk M, Axler CT, Gletsu M (1996). Spinal shrinkage: Is it useful for evaluation of low back loads in the workplace. Ergonomics, 39(1): 92-102.
- Cholewicki J*, McGill SM (1996). Mechanical stability of the in vivo lumbar spine: Implications for injury and chronic low back pain. Biomech. 11(1): 1-15.
- McGill SM, Juker D, Axler C (1996). Correcting trunk muscle geometry obtained from MRI and CT scans of supine postures for use in standing postures. Biomech. 29(5): 643-646.
- McGill SM (1996). A revised anatomical model of the abdominal musculature for torso flexion efforts. Biomech. 29(7): 973-977.
- McGill SM, Juker D, Kropf P (1996). Quantitative intramuscular myoelectric activity of quadratus lumborum during a wide variety of tasks, Biomech, 11(3): 170-172.
- McGill SM, Norman RW, Cholewicki J (1996). A simple polynomial for predicting low back compression in 3-D industrial tasks, Ergonomics 39(9): 1107-1118.
- McGill SM, Juker D, Kropf P (1996). Appropriately placed surface EMG electrodes reflect deep muscle activity (psoas, quadratus lumborum, abdominal wall) in the lumbar spine. Biomech. 29(11): 1503-1507.
- Potvin JR*, Norman RW, McGill SM (1996). Mechanically corrected EMG for the continuous estimation of erector spine muscle loading during repetitive lifting. J. Appl. Physiol. 74: 119-132.
- McGill SM, Axler CT (1996). Changes in spine height throughout 32 hours of bedrest: Implications for bedrest and space travel on the low back, Phys.Med.Rehab. 38(9): 925-927.
- Cholewicki J*, McGill SM, Norman RW (1995). Comparison of muscle forces and joint load from an optimization and EMG assisted lumbar spine model: Towards development of a hybrid approach. Biomech. 28(3): 321-331.
- McGill SM (1995). The mechanics of torso flexion: situps and standing dynamic flexion manoeuvres. Biomech., 10(4): 184-192.
- Cholewicki J*, McGill SM (1995). Relationship between muscle force and stiffness in the whole mammalian muscle: A simulation study, Biomech. Engng., 117:339-342.
- Santaguida L*, McGill SM (1995). The Psoas Major Muscle: A three-dimensional mechanical modelling study with respect to the spine based on MRI measurement. Biomech. 28(3): 339-345.
- McGill SM, Sharratt MT, Seguin JP (1995). Loads on spinal tissues during simultaneous lifting and ventilatory challenge, ERGONOMICS. 38:1772-1792.
- Callaghan J*, McGill SM (1995). Muscle activity and low back loads under external shear and compressive loading. Spine, 20(9): 992-998.
- Sutarno C*, McGill SM (1995). Iso-velocity investigation of the lengthening behaviour of the erector spinae muscles. J. Appl. Physiol. Occup. Physiol. 70(2): 146-153.
- Callaghan JP*, McGill SM (1995). A comparison of dynamic compressive mechanical properties between frozen and fresh vertebral units. Orthop. Res. 13:809-812.
- McGill SM, Jones K, Bennett G, Bishop PJ (1994). Passive stiffness of the human neck in flexion, extension and lateral bending. Biomech. 9:193-198.
- Koski A*, McGill SM (1994). Shoulder Flexion Strength: For use in occupational risk analysis, Biomech. 9:99-104.
- Cholewicki J*, McGill SM (1994). EMG Assisted Optimization: A hybrid approach for estimating muscle forces in an indeterminate biomechanical model. Biomech. 27(10): 1287-1289.
- McGill SM, Seguin J, Bennett G (1994). Passive stiffness of the lumbar torso about the flexion-extension, lateral bend and axial twist axes: The effect of belt wearing and breath holding. Spine. 19(6):696-704.
- McGill SM, Kippers V. (1994). Transfer of loads between lumbar tissues during the flexion relaxation phenomenon. Spine. 19(19): 2190-2196.
- McGill SM, Santaguida L, Stevens J (1993). Measurement of the trunk musculature from T6 to L5 using MRI scans of 15 Young Males corrected for muscle fibre orientation, Biomech. 8:171-178.
- McGill SM (1993). Abdominal Belts In Industry: A position paper on their assets, liabilities and use. Ind. Hyg. Assn. J. 54(12):752-754.
- Sharratt MT, McGill SM (1993). The effect of variable breathing pattern on spinal loading during lifting. Sci.Sport Exerc. 25(5):5115
- Cholewicki J*, McGill SM (1992). Lumbar posterior ligament involvement during extremely heavy lifts estimated from fluoroscopic measurements. Biomech. 25(1): 17-28.
- McGill SM (1992). The influence of lordosis on axial trunk torque and trunk muscle myoelectric activity. Spine. 17(10): 1187-1193.
- McGill SM, Brown S (1992). Creep response of the lumbar spine to prolonged full flexion, Biomech. 7: 43-46.
- McGill SM (1992). A myoelectrically based dynamic 3-D model to predict loads on lumbar spine tissues during lateral bending. Biomech. 25(4): 395-414.
- Potvin JR*, Norman RW, Eckenrath ME, McGill SM, Bennett GW (1992). Regression models for the prediction of dynamic L4/L5 compression forces during lifting. 35(2): 189-201.
- McGill SM (1991). Electromyographic activity of the abdominal and low back musculature during the generation of isometric and dynamic axial trunk torque: Implications for lumbar mechanics. Orthop. Res., 9:91-103.
- Cholewicki J*, McGill SM, Wells RP, Vernon H (1991). A method for measuring vertebral kinematics from fluoroscopy. Biomech. 6:73-78
- McGill SM (1991). The kinetic potential of the lumbar trunk musculature about three orthogonal orthopaedic axes in extreme postures. Spine. 16(7): 809-815
- Potvin JR*, Norman RW, McGill SM (1991). Reduction in anterior shear forces on the L4/L5 disc by the lumbar musculature. Biomech. 6:88-96
- Cholewicki J*, McGill SM, Norman RW (1991). Lumbar Spine loads during lifting extremely heavy weights. Sci. Sports Exerc. 23(10): 1179-1186.
- Potvin J*, McGill SM, Norman RW (1991). Trunk muscle and lumbar ligament contributions to dynamic lifts with varying degrees of trunk flexion. Spine. 16(9): 1099-1107.
- McGill SM, Norman RW, Sharratt MT (1990). The effect of an abdominal belt on trunk muscle activity and intra-abdominal pressure during squat lifts. Ergonomics, 33(2): 147-160.
- McGill SM, Sharratt MT (1990). The relationship between intra-abdominal pressure and trunk EMG. Biomech., 5:59-67.
- McGill SM, Hoodless K (1990). Measured and modelled static and dynamic axial trunk torsion during twisting in males and females. Biomed. Engng., 12: 403-409.
- Sullivan A*, McGill SM (1990). Changes in spine length during and following seated whole body vibration. Spine, 15(12):1257-1260.
- McGill SM, Thorstensson A and Norman RW (1989). Non-rigid response of the trunk to dynamic axial loading: An evaluation of current modelling assumptions. Biomech., 4:45-50.
- McGill SM (1989). Review Paper: Recent advances in lumbar mechanics with relevance to clinicians. Can. Chiro. Assn., 33(2): 82-92.
- McGill SM, Patt N, Norman RW (1988). Measurement of the trunk musculature of active males using CT scan radiography: Implications for force and moment generating capacity about the L4/L5 joint. Biomech., 21(4): 329-341.
- McGill SM, Norman RW (1988). The potential of lumbodorsal fascia forces to generate back extension moments during squat lifts. Biomed. Engng., 10: 312-318.
- McGill SM (1988). Estimation of force and extensor moment contributions of the disc and ligaments at L4/L5. Spine, 12:1395-1402.
- McGill SM and Norman RW (1987). Effects of an anatomically detailed erector spinae model on L4/L5 disc compression and shear. Biomech., 20(6): 591-600.
- McGill SM and Norman RW (1987). An assessment of intra-abdominal pressure as a viable mechanism to reduce spinal compression. Ergonomics, 30(11): 1565-1588.
- McGill SM (1987). A biomechanical perspective of sacro-iliac pain. Clinical Biomechanics, 2(3): 145-151.
- McGill SM and Norman RW (1986). The Volvo Award for 1986: Partitioning of the L4/L5 dynamic moment into disc, ligamentous and muscular components during lifting. Spine, 11(7): 666-678.
- McGill SM and Norman RW (1985). Dynamically and statically determined low back moments during lifting. Biomech., 18(12): 877-885.
- McGill SM and Dainty D (1984). A computer analysis of energy transfers in childrens’ walking with crutches. Phys. Med. Rehab., 65(3): 115-120.
- McGill SM and Dainty D (1984). Suggestions for modifications to childrens’ crutches. Physiotherapy Canada, 36(2): 75-78.