BENEFITS OF MCGILL METHOD CERTIFICATION
You will be listed on the backfitpro.com website and should expect patient/client referrals.
You will be invited to quarterly zoom meetings for grand rounds of client case studies, and professional issues and skill updates.
You must be a health care practitioner or fitness professional, in good standing with your professional college or association.
Within the last five (5) years you have attended:
McGill 1: Foundation For A Pain-Free Back
McGill 2: Assessment
McGill 3: Enhancing Performance
Check the ‘online courses’ page for access to McGill Method courses. If you take the online courses, you must also attend the small enrollment, online interactive hands-on skills development workshop for each course (Free to those who have registered for all three online courses).
You must have an existing vibrant practice seeing patients one-on-one.
STEPS TO CERTIFICATION
You must demonstrate competence in interpreting the 9 assessment tests in Back Mechanic together with designing and coaching an appropriate program as a minimum.
2. Review the study guide: Download study guide here
3. Apply to take the McGill Method certification exams:
See application button at the bottom of this page.
4. Take the McGill Method Certification written exam:
This written exam will be administered online and composed of a series of short answer questions. The written exam is worth 45% of your McGill Method Certification grade.
5. Take the McGill Method Certification practical exam.
This practical exam will be administered online via a video conference with a Backfitpro faculty member. You will be required to bring a model to your practical exam, as you will be requested to demonstrate and coach various McGill Method practices. The practical exam is worth 55% of your McGill Method Certification grade. Following the completion of your practical exam, you will receive your pass or fail exam result, based on both exam components.
6. Pay your member fees.
If you received a passing grade (≥ 80%), you will become McGill Method Certified. Once your McGill Method Certified member fees are paid, your contact information will be included in the McGill Method Certified database, posted on Backfitpro.com and available to the general public searching for referrals.
WHAT DOES THE EXAM TEST?
- Competent in identification of red flags and appropriate referral procedures
- Adept at thoroughly taking a client’s history, knowing what questions to ask and how to interpret the responses
- Able to coach the corrective movement patterns that prevent/desensitize low back pain
- Knowledgeable in how to develop an exercise program, including when and how to progress and regress the client in their program
- Able to identify the movements, postures and loads that are (potential) pain triggers, coach the client in understanding these (potential) pain triggers and, if possible, relate them to a mechanism that will empower the client to make decisions in the future
- Proficient in demonstrating and coaching a remedial core stabilization program (e.g., cue appropriate bracing strategies and coach progressions of the Big 3, as well as gluteal and lat activation), together with appropriate distal mobility
- Proficient in the material in Dr. Stuart McGill’s textbooks, including, but not limited to, lumbar spine function and injury mechanisms, functional anatomy, patient assessment, corrective exercise prescription and performance training
MAINTAINING YOUR CERTIFICATION
1. A review is conducted every 4 years (involving a progress report with suggestions). In the exceptional case involving complaints against a practitioner by clients or colleagues, Backfitpro reserves the right to conduct a re-examination (there is no cost for this). Note that this situation has never occurred.
2. Pay your annual certification membership fees
In addition to the course tuition costs, the exam fee is $449 cdn (approx $360 US), and the annual certification membership fee is $499 cdn (approx $400 US).
*Any exam re-writes are provided on an as-needed basis and are at the discretion of Backfitpro. If taken within 90 calendar days of the first attempt, the fees will be waived.
**This designation is not for life and Backfitpro reserves the right to remove the McGill Method Certified individual from the website.
A Note From McGill Method Certified Practitioner, Nicola Folino
“Becoming McGill Method Certified has proven to be invaluable both personally and professionally. The process afforded me the confidence and reassurance I needed to impart knowledge and execute appropriate programs to clients suffering from low back pain. It has also provided me with a unique training niche supported by my listing on the Backfitpro website which continues to be a significant source of new clients.”
– Nicola Folino